Wednesday, September 17, 2008

God-With-Us

GOD-WITH-US

after Jean Valentine

What will I call you
when you are gone?
How will I know your name?
Little star, reflection
on the Sea of Galilee,
a lantern in the wood, half-hid,
half-seen?
reflecting on what can’t be
touched, be known?
And the sheen of milk
across the sky, the galaxy poured out
like me, true sky, false dawn,
and a young woman’s nipple,
star of milk, star of a
nursing child’s mouth, my
child, my lord, whoever
you may be today, tonight
which will not end, a cup
passed to me, from which I may
or may not drink, half-empty
star, still asleep by now?
And your small body, Emmanuel,
how small my heart
to fit inside yours)
lie there, pearled, asleep…
How I want to believe.
(a pearl, an irritant).




Note on "God-With-Us:" This was the last poem Reginald wrote. He wrote it while in the hospital, about two weeks before he died. It was read at his memorial service by his longtime friend Jocelyn Emerson. Robert Philen

7 comments:

edward mycue said...

such a strong and tender, masterful poem.
edward mycue

Tim Jones said...

How beautiful!

Thor Dream: Reviews said...

Reginald, now your poems must catch up to you. Facing illness, I also speak anti-poetry: writing this in those circumstances confirm your powers as echo-maker. Your kindness will somehow be lost as one of your great talents. To some of us, you're never to be merely an idea. Rane

Mark Granier said...

Marvelous! Tough and poignant, hard and soft at once, and it chimes with my own feelings about these things. Reminds me of a line from a recent book from Julian Barnes: "I don't believe in God, but I miss him."

Thanks for this Robert, and Reginald.

Anonymous said...

Incredibly moving, Robert. What fine man and poet we've lost. Thank you for posting this.

brian (baj) salchert said...

"How I want to believe."
-
This line is, or is close to being,
baptism by desire. Yet it is not
necessary to espouse a Belief to
know that Mr. Reginald Shepherd
strove to be a human of
the highest order. You also.
The two of you deepened and raised each other, reminding the rest of us
that however difficult one's transit becomes,
loving life and livening love
should guide that transit.

ShannonElizabeth said...

I am still so sad about the loss of such an amazing poet and human being. Thank you for sharing his last poem with us.